ChemChina to sweeten bid for Syngenta to $44B

By 
Reuters
Reading Time: < 1 minute

Published: December 18, 2015

,

(Syngenta.com)

Reuters — State-owned China National Chemical Corp. has raised its offer to buy Syngenta by about $2 billion, to US$44 billion, proposing a two-stage takeover of the agrochemical company, Bloomberg reported, citing sources.

ChemChina has offered 470 Swiss francs (C$661) per share to buy 70 per cent of Syngenta with an option to acquire the remaining 30 per cent at a later date, Bloomberg reported Friday.

Syngenta and ChemChina were not immediately available for comment.

Read Also

Spain is the European Union’s leading pork producer, accounting for a quarter of the bloc’s output and with annual exports worth about 3.5 billion euros (C$5.65 billion). Photo: Geralyn Wichers

Spain detects first swine fever cases outside initial Barcelona outbreak zone

Two African swine fever cases have been detected in Spain among wild boar for the first time outside an original outbreak area near Barcelona, prompting additional restrictions on the movement of people and livestock, regional authorities in Catalonia said on Friday.

Syngenta, under pressure to boost shareholder returns after turning down a US$47 billion takeover offer from Monsanto this year, rejected ChemChina’s previous offer last month due to regulatory concerns, Bloomberg had reported.

The framework of the new offer allows ChemChina to integrate with Syngenta’s businesses before taking over complete control of the company, Bloomberg said.

Syngenta is ready to discuss deals with anyone in the industry, including Monsanto, interim CEO John Ramsay told Dow Jones earlier Friday.

Ramsay said Monsanto had not revived its takeover effort, but said a deal with ChemChina would face lower regulatory hurdles than a deal with a Western rival.

Reporting for Reuters by Amrutha Penumudi in Bangalore.

explore

Stories from our other publications